[pct-l] Poopy Rocks?

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Oct 31 17:52:33 CDT 2008

I've tried rocks and leaves, and they work in a jam (no pun intended).
Personally, I prefer wet wipes for the cleanliness they provide.  Sweat,
germs, and friction are not a good combination, at least not for me, and I
much prefer being clean.  I use a "Wag Bag" to carry out my used wipes --
not the part with the chemical in it where you would actually do your
business, but the bag you're supposed to throw it away in.  It's opaque, and
seals nicely. It folds up neatly and is discreet and odorless.  The wipes
dry out and weigh less than they did wet. Hey, it makes me more comfortable,
so I don't mind carrying the tiny bit of weight.

The Wag Bag is now required on the Whitney Portal Trail, though you have to
actually capture and carry out your feces on that one.  They've removed the
portable toilets, and there are just too many people, even with strict
permitting regulations, to allow the poor hygiene habits people exhibit
(yes, even PCT hikers).  I'll never forget going around a large rock to dig
my cat hole, only to find that someone else, someone very large but not a
bear, hadn't bothered to do the same.

L-Rod