[pct-l] Knee problems and backpacking

Jonathan Blees Jblees at energy.state.ca.us
Wed Oct 29 15:30:03 CDT 2008

Confused,

I have little clue about a diagnosis (torn miniscus?), but I can offer the keys for me, a 58-year section hiker who's had an arthroscopy on each knee, in maintaining reasonable knee health:

1.  Throughout the year:  regular weightlifting -- leg extensions (go down only halfway) and leg curls especially. NO squats or leg presses.

2. Throughout the year:  practice hikes, following 3., 4., 5., & 6. below.

3. On the trail:  carry a light load.  My knees are much happier with 30 pounds as opposed to 40; ditto 20 v. 30.

4.  On the trail:  stretch often:  quads, hamstrings, calves (& the rest of the body).

5.  On the trail: Wear running shoes with good padding and support.  After trying half-a-dozen others, I have settled on Asics Gel-Cumulus (and its successors) as the best for me. In addition, I insert the most shock-absorbing Spenco insoles (usually yellow and black on the bottom, green on top) for flats and downhills.

6.  On the trail;  drink lots of water.

Of course, YKMV.

Happy Hiking!

Wildheart
<<<

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:51:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joe Bastian <joebastian1 at yahoo.com>

I was hoping some backpacker on this forum could shed some light on my knee problem . . . .
<Snip>

Thanks

Confused Joe
<<<