[pct-l] Granite Gear Vapor Trail

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 01:45:36 CDT 2008

Shepherd,

I, and many others, used the Vapor Trail in 2006. The only problem I had was when I tried to jam my Bear Vault sideways in the top. It went in but ripped out a couple of seams, which I sewed up by hand. After that I put it in verticle. Other than that it did the whole trail with no ill effects. I would use it again on a thu-hike.

I seem to remember one other hiker having some problem with his, Granite Gear replaced it, he just had to send the old one back to them.

Since then I have used it mountain climbing and hiking in Peru, where it has gotten a number of rips from sharp lava rocks, most of those from lowering it down a rocky cliff on a rope.

Oh, mine fit fine before the hike but after I lost about 10 lbs. the hip belt was too big. I have a medium and normally about a 31" waist. Carrying 40 lbs. wasn't very comfortable, my base weight was about 18 - 20 lbs. They do make another model which I think is rated at 40 lbs. but it weighs 3 lbs. instead of 2 lbs.

Sugar Daddy

I am also looking at ultra-light backpacks such as Rays, the GoLite Jam 2,
Six Moons Comet, the Granite Gear Vapor Trail and others.?I currently haul a
Ospry Talon.? ?My problem is that once I fill a bear vault with 5 days to a
weeks worth of?food, plus a base weight of 20-25 lbs, I am up around 35-45
lbs.? My impression is that this is a lot of weight for one of these packs.?
I have also been known to "plop" down none-to-gently and fall back to rest
with the pack still on.? I am concerned as to the "ruggedness" of some of
these packs.? Your experiences are hereby solicited.? Thanks.
?
Shepherd