[pct-l] Make-your-own Hand Sanitizer

NC Murtaugh hikingis4me2 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 22:27:55 CDT 2008

I found this recipe in The Oregonian quite a few years ago.  It was posted by Kathlyn Meskel.

Makes 1-1/2 cups sanitizing gel

1 cup aloe vera gel (I buy mine at an Adventist market in the vitamin section)
1/2 cup 190-proof grain alcohol (available at liquor stores - sometimes in the back room)
1 to 2 teaspoons essential or fragrance oil (I use tea tree or lavender)
1 to 2 drops food coloring (I omit)

Then I found another similar recipe (which right now is misplaced) and add 2 tablespoons glycerin, which I buy in a solid form at Craft Warehouse and melt in the microwave (shave off little pieces - eyeball it)

I use a clean dish soap bottle and add all of the above ingredients.  Shake the bottle.  Viola.  Hand cleaner.

It's not as thick as the commercial blends, but also doesn't have triclosan either.

Lost and Found