[pct-l] Hwy 36 and points North...

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 14:26:38 CST 2008

Piper has filled you in on the trail to Old Station.  Let me tell you what
happens from there.  First, FireWalker and I hope you'll plan to stay with
us at the Hideaway.  We've had horses, mules and burros wander around our 5
acres on several occasions.  We have no corral, we find that we really
haven't needed one, but we do have access to one nearby if you feel its
necessary.  In the past, animals have hobbled and given the opportunity to
graze and mow our lawns at the same time.  Cuervo's 3 burros (hobbled
together w/ 20 or so feet of rope between each one), wandered into the empty
acreage next door once, but when they brayed I went out, climbed on Bad A__
Mama and rode her back, hauling Coco the Brat and Bozo the Clown back with
us.  No problem.
Besides grazing ground, we have tents, showers, laundry, hot tub, dinner and
breakfast and DSL.  Also phone usage with a calling card, hiker boxes
containing everything from swim suits, nethers hiders and other clothing, to
a box for hiker food, bins for first aid, towels, toiletries and misc. other
needs like mailing supplies, etc.  Oh, yes, and the tree house.
The trail on north includes almost immediately, the infamous Hat Creek Rim.
There are three reliable water sources up there, the distance between
numbers 2 and 3 is probably close to 20 miles, while distances between Old
Station and the first one is only about 4 miles and between numbers 1 and 2
is 17.  After the third water source comes Burney Falls St. Pk., which has
access to a horse camp across the creek from the mail portion of the Park.
It's about 10 or 11 miles on north....you cross Hwy 299...I'll give you a
suggestion re that crossing as it's kind of dangerous with stock.
You can reach us at bobbnweav at gmail.com to talk further as your plans firm
up...an approx. arrival date is always good.  We do hope you'll visit with
us, let us help you any way we can.
FireFly
(from) The Hideaway at Old Station