[pct-l] hanging food vs. bear canisters

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Fri May 23 20:51:01 CDT 2008

Good evening, Christoph,

In most instances outside the SIBBG bear 'can area I just keep my food in
unprotected ultralite stuff bags.  In areas where I may have a concern, I
use the 7.6 ounce Ursack without the aluminum liner shell.  The Ursack does
not qualify for use in the SIBBG area  --  even with the liner --  but at
night I place it close to my camp so I can hear if a bear is
trying to get into it, and I can scare him off.  The Ursack comes with a
stout tether, which should be tied to something safe.  If the sack is left
un-tethered a bear could grasp it in its mouth and make off with it.

Steel-Eye