[pct-l] hanging food vs. bear canisters

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Fri May 23 20:34:56 CDT 2008

We met a ranger while doing the JMT last year who told us his 'experiment'
with the Ursack.  He put it, and other types of cannisters, loaded with
food, in a bear-popular area.  The bear ignored the cannisters.  It (?he)
picked up the Ursack and pounded it against a rock until the rivets gave out
and had a tasty meal.  Granted, this was in Sequoia, where bears have
legendary abilities...
We have carbon fiber cans (2 lbs), and use them for other things besides
food storage (good seats, buckets, etc).  They are also good at keeping
annoying rodents from the food.
When we really want to go light and critters aren't an issue, we hang a
stuff sack of food.