[pct-l] More break through hiker news

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Mon May 5 22:43:44 CDT 2008

Michael,
I'm not sure about the pricing, but I assume it is not cheap.
Hikers will pay any price to lessen their pack weight.
 From a speed hiking point a view I would say you would be better off
drinking the dehydrated water rather than chewing it.
Chewing requires more energy vs drinking, resulting in higher calorie
demand which in turn will result in increased food demand.
So, from a UL point of view, drinking the dehydrated water will result
in lighter pack weight.

I like the  ''glass encapsulated air concept,''   it could serve as a
mini oxygen tank.
In the Sierra many hikers feel the affect of altitude sickness.....a
wiff or two of pressurized air may relieve the symptoms.
It may also help  keep the dreaded  ''MHD''  (Moronic Hiking Disorder)
at bay.
Brought on by to many nights at high altitude, which results in oxygen
depreviation which in turn causes brain cells to die, giving rise to a
condition known in medical circles as  ''Moronic Hiking
Disorder''....frequently associated with long distance hiking....can be
fatal if left untreated.
Only known cure....total abstencian from hiking.
Many long distance hikers suffer from this dreadful disorder.
One only needs to look as far as Switchback to know that that is so.

Poor fellow.... he thinks sacking innocent hikers is normal.....we know
better.....we know it is  ''MHD''.

JMT Reinhold
Dr. of Moronic Disorders