[pct-l] A little Section A info

Jim Ostdick palomino.pct at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 20:51:53 CDT 2008

I spent a few days hiking in Anza Borrego this week and stopped at a some
PCT spots to reminisce. On March 25, I added 10 gallons to the 15 or so that
were already at the Scissors Crossing cache. I imagine that will disappear
fast. The trough at Barrel Springs was full and clear (same day)...the pipe
was making water, but it seemed slow to me...my guess is ~1/2
Liter/minute...the surrounding area was greener and a lot cleaner than I
remembered it.

The store in Warner Springs had 4 bottles of HEET. I asked politely if they
could order some more. Very friendly folks. They had a list of hiker
re-supply favorites that someone had given them. It is still a very small
store, though...their inventory on the 26th could have easily been scarfed
up by a big group of thrus. Could be hit-or-miss for buy-as-you-go hikers in
peak season.

For hikers who may be planning to stay at the Warner Springs Ranch: on
Tuesdays they drain and clean the hot pool; it is available to guests every
day of the week except Tuesday. Very, *very* friendly folks! My partner and
I enjoyed the mighty PCT discount in 2001. This time I gladly paid full
price :-)

Temps in Borrego Springs were in the 90s already, but higher up it was still
quite pleasant. I think if I try to thru-hike again, I will leave in March
and walk very low miles for the first few weeks. The desert is way better
when your brainpan's not on fire!

Best of luck to all.