[pct-l] Umbrella areas north of High Sierra?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sat Mar 22 16:41:36 CDT 2008

Wind is the big liability for umbrellas, hence they're of very limited use while walking through the Sierras. There's a fair amount of open exposure south of Tuolumne Meadows, like around Sonora Pass, but the winds on those ridges will destroy an umbrella.

I'd get it back at Echo Lake Resort so I had it for the Desolation Wilderness (you're going to love the ascent to Dick's Pass). And as I recall, the descent into and then the ascent out of Sierra City and the descent into Belden were all through large exposed areas.

I'd keep it all the way to Seiad Valley (there's a very long exposed climb up from I-5 at Castella). It will also be nice to have on that 6.5 mile blacktop roadwalk from Grider Creek Campground into Seiad itself. Then either ship it home or ahead to White Pass. Surprisingly, the 4000 climb up Cardiac Hill out of Seiad is mostly shaded, and there's not really much need for it in Oregon and southern WA.

There's really only the big 40 mile clearcut just south of Snoqualmie Pass where it would be helpful, but after that it's mostly dead weight. I did the clearcut without one and didn't really miss it. Personally, I'd save myself the weight and send it home from Seiad. If you get to the OR/WA border and change your mind, you can always buy another one there in Cascade Locks.

Wandering Bob