[pct-l] Socks for hiking

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Mar 22 16:22:59 CDT 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 9:20 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I also recommend the Injinji toe socks. And I also agree they wear
> out amazingly fast. They make both an all wool and a blend and I've
> not determined which wears out the fastest. Even so, it's worth it
> to me to pay the price because my feet don't get hot and I no
> longer get blisters on my toes.
> Susan Alcorn

I have been using injinji toesocks for a while now. I have very wide
feet and find that most shoes will cause my little toes to scrunch
underneath the toes next to them, causing a lot of pain. The toe
socks alleviate this problem very well. However they do make my feet
even wider than they already are so it has been impossible to find
any shoes that fit decently these past few years. The only shoes that
leave my feet feeling completely free are sandals and these are hard
for me to keep up speed in. It's always a compromise somewhere. What
would I rather have? Shoes that are a little too big for my feet and
happy toes, or unhappy toes no matter what size my shoes are?

The wool wears out much faster than the other blend, but the wool is
the most comfortable. The dryer really kills the wool. Best not to
put them in the dryer. Recently I found some made of bamboo fiber. I
look forward to giving them a try.