[pct-l] Wrightwood Question

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Wed Mar 12 08:29:32 CDT 2008

The hardware store has a hikers' info book,  including a few people who put
up hikers in their home. Please do not abuse such  hospitality. I stayed at one
home for two nights (the first morning was cold and  rainy); it was a
wonderful experience - wine and talking until after midnight  one night, plus a
couple of home cooked meals. And no, I won't give a name;  I don't have permission,
nor have I ever asked permission to recommend this  home. I just remember it
fondly.
    Also, in Wrightwood - '05, I got a haircut for $15  on no notice, except
to go back two hours later to get worked into her  appointment schedule. I
seem to recall a good bakery/coffee shop, perhaps in the  same building as the
beauty salon. I solved some problem at the hardware store,  but I don't remember
much else.
    The best way to have town info ahead of time is  Inet research, for maps,
motels, restaurants, coffee shops, laundromats, etc.  For instance, if you
like coffee shops, that info is only on the Inet. Local C  of C's will gladly
mail you stuff. Type and cut/paste it all onto both sides of  a 24-lb piece of
paper; dip it in Thompson's Water Seal, and let dry on a  clothespin for 6
hours in the sun. Carry it with you from the previous stop, so  the info is
immediately at hand when you enter a town; that's much better than  wandering around
trying to figure things out from scratch, especially if you  can't get your
resupply immediately.
    The old PCT Town Book is getting dated, since it's  no longer updated;
however, a certain Triple-Crowner publishes up-to-date town  info, which you'd
be a damn fool to not buy, and not have pertinent  parts with you. You can go
into any town these days, armed to the teeth with  reliable info; it just takes
Yogi's book and some Inet research.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of  Texas

Government cripples you, then hands you a crutch and says, 'See, if  it
wasn't for us, you couldn't walk.'
-- Harry Browne

"If you think  health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs
when its free."
-- P. J. ORourke

In a message dated 3/11/2008 5:16:34 P.M. Central Daylight Time,