[pct-l] Glacial streams...

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Wed Mar 12 08:29:01 CDT 2008

Good morning, Ollen,

Some of the streams from glaciated mountains are indeed quite silty as the
names "Milk Creek" and "Whitewater River" would indicate.  Sometimes you can't
see the bottom in 10" of water.  The sediment does settle if a container
sits for a while.  My filters use the ceramic media, the outside of which
can be scraped and rinsed clean when contaminated, however a better option
is to just bypass the most silty flows.  In the area of the silty streams
there is usually other water, such as from springs or smaller trickles,
which is more clear.

Steel-Eye