[pct-l] water purification cross-contamination

robo hiker robohiker at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 9 16:48:22 CDT 2008

you're more thorough than i've ever been with a filter, or water . me?, hands wet, wash face, wet head, wrap hoses up together and drink.
i've had giardia 3 times, central and south america, and asia. too many meals in the market places where they wash all the dishes in one bucket and wipe them with the same rag. i'll be more careful out west where the water i'm filtering is coming from the cow upstream! :-D> From: AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net> To: pct-l at backcountry.net> Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:52:11 -0700> Subject: Re: [pct-l] water purification cross-contamination> > For example, with the MSR MiniWorks filter, there's a long(ish) hose> that goes in the water source, and a threaded outlet that fits a Nalgene> bottle, with a lid to cover the outlet. I try to remember to put the lid> on the outlet first, then drain the hose and wrap it around the filter> body. The final step is washing my hands that have been handling the> inlet hose. Or at least it should be, as I rarely do. The theory is that> giardia cysts can survive some time out of water. > > The thing that always confused me is people telling me to filter my> water, then watching those same people rinse their hands in lake water,> or soak their bandana in the lake and wrap it around their head, with> the water then dripping on their face. I'm not paranoid (or maybe I am),> but it seems to me that's counterproductive. But, I've done the same.> > AsABat> > -----Original Message-----> > funny, i've never kept the hoses seperate with my filter and have never> gotten sick,even though i knew there might be a chance of cross> contamination. > > > Something else to think about is cross-contamination - the inlet hose> > not being kept separate from the outlet.> > > > There's also been discussion that most giardia is passed by dirty> hands> > sharing food.> > > _______________________________________________> Pct-l mailing list> Pct-l at backcountry.net> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l