[pct-l] water purification cross-contamination

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Sun Mar 9 14:52:11 CDT 2008

For example, with the MSR MiniWorks filter, there's a long(ish) hose
that goes in the water source, and a threaded outlet that fits a Nalgene
bottle, with a lid to cover the outlet. I try to remember to put the lid
on the outlet first, then drain the hose and wrap it around the filter
body. The final step is washing my hands that have been handling the
inlet hose. Or at least it should be, as I rarely do. The theory is that
giardia cysts can survive some time out of water.

The thing that always confused me is people telling me to filter my
water, then watching those same people rinse their hands in lake water,
or soak their bandana in the lake and wrap it around their head, with
the water then dripping on their face. I'm not paranoid (or maybe I am),
but it seems to me that's counterproductive. But, I've done the same.

AsABat