[pct-l] steripen for water purification

robo hiker robohiker at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 9 14:28:16 CDT 2008

funny, i've never kept the hoses seperate with my filter and have never gotten sick,even though i knew there might be a chance of cross contamination. given the conditions of some of the watering holes out west, i've recently changed my strategy and will be keeping the hoses seperate. i'm weary of the pen, and have heard mixed reports.i'll have a water bag where i can let the water settle before pumping,hopefully keeping my filter cleaner. what's the rush? 1 liter a minute 2 liters a minute,couple of skeeters won't hurt you. ;-D> From: AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net> To: pct-l at backcountry.net> Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 10:26:23 -0700> Subject: Re: [pct-l] steripen for water purification> > Something else to think about is cross-contamination - the inlet hose> not being kept separate from the outlet.> > There's also been discussion that most giardia is passed by dirty hands> sharing food.> > AsABat> > > Anecdotal data: For the rest of the Oregon/Washington trip three of us> > used the SteriPEN exclusively. The fourth member of the group used a> > filter. He got giardia; we didn't!> > _______________________________________________> Pct-l mailing list> Pct-l at backcountry.net> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l