[pct-l] steripen for water purification

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sun Mar 9 12:17:16 CDT 2008

Good morning, Laura,

Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) technology has been around a long
time and has been proven effective in industry.  The only real question in
my mind is the reliability of the embodiment of that technology in a package
as small as the Steri-Pen.  If the hardware wasn't reliable, I would end up
with nothing more than a very expensive swizzle-stick.  It's probably just
fine, but I had the same question about other now-accepted technologies such
as the lowly digital watch, the hand-held calculator, and GPS receivers.  In
that regard, I like to be "the first to be second" in trying them.

It's interesting that UVGI doesn't always kill all the bugs, but it does
screw-up there DNA so they can't reproduce.

Steel-Eye