[pct-l] Steripens

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Sun Mar 9 10:38:45 CDT 2008

Laura, et all,

    There are three Steripens:   1. the original (now called Classic), 8 oz,
using 4 AA batts (always  buy Lithium batts - 7 times the life and a 15-year
shelf life), $100 thru  Campmor.  2. the JourneyLCD, <5 oz, not avail  until
next month, list $130.  3. the  Adventurer/Traveler, <4 oz, $100 list. Study
their website at  _http://www.steripen.com/index.html_
(http://www.steripen.com/index.html) .  I wouldn't mess with rechargable batteries; they last only half
as long, don't  seem to be quite as strong, and carrying a charger takes your
weight right back  up above the 8 oz point.
    Now I'd buy the JourneyLCD, for  the 5 oz weight; it does use two more
specialty type camera batteries, so I'd  carry 2 spare non-rechargable batts -
just in case, and would keep 2 more in my  bounce bucket. Call REI and Campmor
to bug them about when they'll  have it. REI has frequent "20% off one item"
sales, and Campmor usually has  lower prices.
    I bought a Classic in 05, paid the original list of  $150, and have used
it from the Mexican border to Donner Pass with no  problems. I've tried all
the other filters; they weighed about a pound  and were a pain to use; now I sit
comfortably, instead of being in some  contorted position over a hole or
trickle, swishing water in the bottle I drink  from, and get a quart about every
3-4 minutes of total time.
    Still your question is on the money; I've seen only  a couple of other
serious hikers using a Steripen; you'll be the fourth, and  will never regret
it. Tablets are very light, of course, and I carry just a few  in case I break
my Steripen, but I don't think they're nearly as  reliable. The price isn't
much more than the other filters, and worth every  bit of it.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of  Texas

Government cripples you, then hands you a crutch and says, 'See, if  it
wasn't for us, you couldn't walk.'
-- Harry Browne

"If you think  health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs
when its free."
-- P. J. ORourke