[pct-l] Camera Weights

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 20:45:20 CST 2008

I just took a little trip to my local camera shop with
my trusty digital postal scale.  I weighed a half
dozen of the smallest (and lightest) point and shoot
digital cameras.  I weighed them WITH batteries and
memory chips included.  Here is my list, with the
weight in ounces, and an approximate price from an
internet shop:

Nikon Coolpix S210       4.1 oz        $180
Nikon Coolpix S550       4.8 oz.       $210
Fujipix Z10              4.5 oz        $130
Pentax Optio M20         6.2 oz        $200
Casio Exilim EX-Z77      4.7 oz        $157
Canon SD850 IS           6.6 oz        $240
(This is the only one with a viewfinder,
which should put less drain on batteries.)

Just for reference I checked my current camera - which
I think is no longer available -
Nikon Coolpix L-1        8.0 oz

Memory chips mostly SD- about 0.1 oz each
Lithium Ion batteries
(specific for a camera brand)
                        about 0.5 oz each
AA batteries are        about 0.9 oz each

All the above cameras have plenty of pixels, but other
qualities vary greatly.

Happy hiking,    Kent