[pct-l] New Thread!: Packing Bear Cans?

Jim McCrain jim at mccrain.net
Thu Jun 26 19:07:49 CDT 2008

How do you pack your bear can?  How much food can you get into it?

I currently use the Bearikade Weekender.  (Yeah, it was expensive, but it is less than two pounds!)

I repackage all of my meals into individual serving 1 quart zip-lock bags.  After squeezing out all of the air, I can get approximately 10-11 of these little "burrito shaped" packages into the bottom of the can.  (I stack the "burritos" on end.)  I then have over half the canister left for breakfast bars and lunches.  I carry a couple of Emergen-C packages per day, and they slide pretty well into the "left over" spaces.  If I work it right, I can get 9-10 full days of rations into the can this way.  It also saves weight to repackage the food, especially the times that I carry freeze-dried meals.

So, how do YOU pack your food?

Jim