[pct-l] Bear Cans and Intimidation

Jim McCrain jim at mccrain.net
Thu Jun 26 18:59:33 CDT 2008

To Mr Postholer (Since I don't know your name!)

I am not trying to "intimidate" anyone. I am merely stating what has been presented to me as fact. I am one of "those" people that believe in following the established rules and regulations. You obviously are not. Nothing wrong with that. However, telling people that it is alright to "choose" to disobey the regulations is not only irresponsible on your part, but it completely under-mines why the regulations have been put into effect.

The bear cannister regulation is not for YOUR protection as much as it is for protecting the BEARS. You know this, you just "choose" to ignore it. If a bear learns that it can get food from humans, then it will continue to do so. You know this, you just "choose" to ignore it. If a bear continually makes contact with humans to get their food, that bear WILL be destroyed. You know this, you just "choose" to ignore it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and choices and must be responsible for their own actions. MY opinion is that I don't want any bear destroyed on account of my own failure to help protect them. After all, it is THEIR home we are walking through. We need to treat them with a little respect and courtesy. We do this by NOT tempting them into learning "bad" behavior. MY actions and choices will not result in the harm to any bears.

When I first found out about "Postholer.com" I was very enthused and greatful for what you have created and for your apparent dedication to the hiking community. But I must say that your stance on advocating the disobediance of established regulations for the protection of the wilderness and wildlife really makes me reconsider your contribution to the hiking community. Your website has put you into a position of trust and authority. It's too bad that you advocate the right to "choose" not to comply with regulations.

For the record, carrying a cannister (or other approved bear resistant container) is NOT a choice in the Sierra, unless you can make it from one bear box to another.  Here is a quote from the NPS Yosemite page:
"You are required by federal regulations to store all your "food" properly throughout Yosemite National Park. You must have your food stored unless it's within arm's reach (so, don't go for a swim or take a nap while leaving food out).
"Food" includes all food and drinks, regardless of packaging, along with trash, toiletries, and other scented items. These items must be stored in either an approved bear-resistant food canister or food locker. Hanging food is illegal throughout Yosemite."
And from another NPS page:
"Through hikers along the Pacific Crest Trail and the John Muir Trail with a valid wilderness permit must use portable, park approved, bear-proof food storage containers or camp at sites with food storage lockers and use the lockers. Hanging food (e.g. counterbalancing) in restricted areas is prohibited until snow prevents access to food storage lockers."

But to each his own. If we run into each other on the trail sometime, feel free to store any of your excess food in my bear cannister. Help yourself to a cup of coffee (I'm buying! :-) ), and we'll swap stories about our adventures.  And for the record, I don't control you and I don't claim to.  Deal with THAT!

Cheers!

Jim