[pct-l] Sonora Pass

paulcaccamo at sbcglobal.net paulcaccamo at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 25 13:23:37 CDT 2008

Early season, Sonora Pass can be frightening indeed.  I went through in 07 around June 20 or so.  There is a snowfield right after you first see the highway (NOBO) which is potentially dangerous.  07 was very low snow, and it was still a little sketchy.  We crossed at 2pm and it had still received little sun at that point.  Hard snow and as L-Rod pointed out, terrible run out, very steep.

We were OK with just trekking poles, but if it were iced over we probably would have found another way down, as we had no ice axes.

Best bet is to hit it late in the day, when you should be fine, or take Leavitt Lake bypass if it's early.

Paul Caccamo (Bounty Hunter '07)