[pct-l] Lions and Tigers and Bears..oh my!

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Jun 25 14:07:00 CDT 2008

That's why there is more than just vanilla ice cream :o)

My take on the book was that it took pains to be factual, and was as much about the realities of living with mountain lions as it was about the escalation of behavior that led to the loss of a promising young man. However, it is different looking at it through the lens of a small community who suffered such a tragic loss. For someone to utilize that loss presumably for profit does seem like exploitation and sensationalism. But so do other books that focus on terrible losses to teach us lessons, like "Young Men and Fire." Hopefully we learn something.

At any rate, we're seeing a similar pattern of big cats becoming more and more emboldened, with numerous sightings and cats that don't run off when encountered. Hikers saw their paw prints on the PCT north of here this season. It's something to keep an eye on.

L-Rod