[pct-l] Desolation Wilderness conditions

Craig Vassel cvassel at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 18 23:03:18 CDT 2008

 "greg jacobs" asked about DW conditions on 11 Jun 2008.

On Thursday 12 June I day-hiked nine miles of the PCT from Richardson Lake to Velma
Lakes and the Eagle Lake trail junction.

In open areas the trail is in good shape. However, conditions are often very bad
in shaded areas, with many snow banks to climb over making it difficult to follow
the trail. There is lots of water running in the trail, and many swampy sections.
There are also a few fallen trees but they are easy to get around. The PCT in Desolation
Wilderness needs much repair work, especially drainage work to stop the water flowing
in the trail and creating a ditch. Hiking was much more difficult and slower than
I expected. Hiking now just increases trail damage and trampling of vegetation-
I recommend waiting at least until July before entering this area.

I saw about six other people on the trail. My best few seconds of the trip were
when I was resting alongside the PCT and heard someone coming.  I turned to see
a huge brown furry hiker coming down the trail towards me on all fours. Since I was
sitting with my feet in the trail and didn’t want to startle the bear when he came
by, I stood up to move.  When the bear saw me he immediately turned around and took
off back up the trail.

Craig Vassel