[pct-l] Reno to South Lake Tahoe

Ann Gerckens volunteer_ann at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 18 22:18:42 CDT 2008

I don't know about trail angels for getting from Reno to South Lake Tahoe, but here is what I do know:
South Lake Tahoe Express runs several times a day from the Reno Airport.  The office is near the baggage claim, Cost was $23 two years ago.  One of the first stops in Stateline is right across from the Post Office.
I stayed in a Reno hotel near Plum Street and Virginia Ave.  This was a quick shuttle ride from/to the airport and within a one mile walk of a grocery store, pharmacy, laundromat (nice coming home) and REI.
On the other hand, some of the SLT motels will help you get to the trail.  It is a full service town, though a bit spread out.  They do have bus service up and down the main drag and as far north as Emerald Bay (connecting trail to PCT).  Two years ago, there was a pilot project for bus service from Emeral Bay through Tahoe City and up to Truckee.  If all else fails, there is cab service there.
Splat!