[pct-l] the answer is not much help

Austin Williams longwalk2653 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 15:35:44 CDT 2008

I could explain how GPS works.  I also understand how a refrigerator works
well enough to build one from a scrap yard.  And I'm pretty sure I could
out-computer-geek 99.99% of adults today (I implement cyber security
policies passed down from the Department of Homeland Security for a group
that supplies world-wide, real-time weather data to the U.S. Navy).  But
then again, I'm a total nerd, and probably not a good representative sample
of twenty-somethings.  But, with Google and Wikipedia... anybody can become
familiar with any technology in just a few hours... and the next generation
is quickly becoming a Jack-of-all-trades generation.  I think that if one
has a good understanding of physics, and a fairly good understanding of how
the hardware and software of a home computer works, then pretty much all
technology available for the foreseeable future can be understood... at
least at a "Popular Science" level.  Pretty much all technology boils down
to physics and computing.
-Austin