[pct-l] Trail conditions

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 13:41:02 CDT 2008

(to Trekker Bob) ....Sorry, hit the wrong button....
FireFly here,
I'm interested in trail conditions from Donner Pass as far north as you can
supply or at least to Crater Lake.  Crater Lake still being still
impassable, that much I know.

As info to anyone interested...we have section hikers that have been doing
the Hat Creek Rim since before Memorial Day to beat the heat...and two guys
that have successfully navigated Lassen National Park thru some snow and
about 75 blowdowns, only a few that are a bit of a problem to get
over/around, tho the trail summit was clear...therefore assuring that the
trail was open from Hwy 36 to Burney Falls St. Pk.  The stretch from north
of BFSP to Castle Crags St. Pk. (Red Mt., Bartle Gap, Mushroom Rock, Grizzly
Peak to Ash Camp, etc) is still unknown to me here in Old Station.  Attempts
to reach Rufus at Bartle Lodge on Hwy 89 still haven't worked...he has
access to loggers who work the Bartle Gap--Mushroom Rock area and can give
us a good idea when their roads are log truck passable.  I'll keep trying.
Trekker Bob...if you send me your reports until problem areas (the
Wildernesses, high elevations, north/east facing slopes, etc.) are open,
I PROMISE to print and post your info for hikers to read.  I DO NOT promise
to respond to you, so please let me thank you in advance.  My Trail Angel
'season' has never, until this year begun before right about now, with the
advent of some early section hikers.   This year, we've had section hikers
since before Kick-Off, and they've been coming in a steady stream since
Memorial Day.  Last year, we 'housed', provided showers, laundry, dinner,
breakfast, vehicle parking, stocked a small water cache on the Hat Creek
Rim, provided clothing, first aid and limited shopping and travel to 277
hikers, two equestrians, three burros, a horse, half a dozen dogs a hybrid
wolf, traveling hiker support people and a hitch-hiker that a 'helpful'
neighbor saw with a pack, mistook for a trail hiker and brought to us.  Once
this season, any day now, begins in earnest I'll not check my mail but maybe
once a day, print out reports and post them, but there may be no time for
directions...that's the best I can do. Sorry, discovered my limitations
several years ago...back when we leaped from 36 hikers in 2004 to 163 in
2005, and we've increased (exponentially?) annually.  This year I'm trying
to educate my brain in terms of 300...it doesn't want to go there, but
realistically, it probably oughta.....  So, please forgive me if I seem
unappreciative of your assistance re trail conditions, your help is very
important to our foot travelers, believe me.
We'd be so happy to have you visit us at the Heitman's Hideaway in Old
Station, Shasta Co. CA if/when you pass thru our area, with or without
pack.    Thanks for all you do.......
FireFly (Georgi) and Fire Walker (Dennis)
P.S.  Drakesbad Guest Ranch inside the south trail entrance to LVNP is open
and welcomes hikers.  Billie and Ed are wonderful, the food is half price to
hikers, gourmet and plentiful, hot springs-fed showers and swimming pool on
site, camping at Warner Valley C.G., 1/4 mile or so away.   At the north end
of the Park is Badger Flat...water there will probably be gone in two to
three weeks according to the first hikers thru the park on about 6/10 or
11.  Taking the alternate route thru the northern half of the park steers
hikers around the burn area from 2005 or '06 (I forget), and past Silver and
the Cluster Lakes for filtered water, it's much prettier too.  There is
water (Hat Creek?) about 1 1/4 miles past Badger Flat, check maps, hikers
said 'it's on a loop that takes you back to the trail, still inside the
park'* * I think.  I didn't check a map while they were telling me
this...therefore memory is fuzzy. Oh, a word to the wise is
sufficient?.... last year, as water at Badger Flat became very limited,
there was a bear that claimed squatters rights on the flats and was
apparently down-right aggressive toward hikers attempting to camp there
overnight.  The bear won!
Thanks again,
FF and FW