[pct-l] Where are the bears?

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 10:13:20 CDT 2008

> I haven't found any resources that will just come out and say it.

That is because each national park and forest is somewhat 'sovereign' and sets its own rules and policies (to a certain extent, of course)...  It certainly has been confusing in the past, especially in the "big 3" of the Sierra - Seki, Yosemite, and Inyo NF...

The food storage map link (<http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/foodstoragemap.htm>) that Aaron Wallace suggested is an excellent start...
Also see <http://www.onthetrail.org/Outdoors/PCT/bearbox.html> for a Sierra 'compilation' (please note that some links are outdated, however - the feds like to keep changing web pages without always discarding the old ones!)...

> There are rumors that SEKI may remove some backcountry bear boxes and expand the canister-required areas next year.

That "rumor" can be seen at <http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_bc.htm>...

It appears as though there will eventually be a single 'policy' (and, therefore, no confusion, nor 'excuses', either!) in the Sierra, at least from Cottonwood Pass to Dorothy Lake Pass - "carry and use a bear canister"...  Yosemite certainly 'simplified' their requirements/regulations for 2008!

Happy trails!!!
Jim / "PITA"

Happy trails!!!
Jim / "PITA"