[pct-l] Guide books

JoAnn jomike at cot.net
Fri Jan 25 11:32:36 CST 2008

No matter what people say, the guide books by Jeffrey Schaffer, et. al, should be read. Buy at least one (there are 3 to cover the whole trail) and see all that it offers. The guide books address history, geology, side routes to civilization, camp sites and water; location and hrs.post offices, maps, distances to/from the next significant location, etc., etc. You'll learn more about the trail, it's history, and it's people. A must read if you care to know where you are and the full scope of the trail, not just hiking it (I don't mean to belittle hiking...it's my joy also).

Yogi's "book" is wonderful but is more statistical information. The guide books use to be the holy grail but Yogi has now replaced them due to hers being so light and precise.

Okay, there you have my point of view. Which ever, do you homework and you'll have a grand adventure  :)

are we there yet