[pct-l] tarptents and wind

Robert W. Freed robert at engravingpros.com
Fri Jan 25 09:27:07 CST 2008

  I'm trying out the Rainbow this year. I've been a ultra lite hiker for some years now. But last season I got caught in Evolution Basin in a sudden storm at dusk. The temperature dropped 30 degrees with wind gusts up to 50+ mph. Raining horizontal. Setting up my 8x10 tarp would have been a joke. I was cold in half an hour and in trouble within one hour. Now I know why they built Muir Hut first hand. It leaks like a sieve but at least it blocks the wind. I setup my tarp inside and was warm within two cup o'soups.
    I was lucky and I learned a lesson. It seems like the rainbow setup with the wind might work. At least way better than a tarp in the wind.

  Robert

  ......................"kris" <kks202 at excite.com> wrote...................
  First off, I love my tarptent.  I have been through 7+ inch storms in
it.  BUT I have next to no faith in it as far as snow loading, side
gusts or very high winds are concerned.  What are people's opinions as far
as ultralite tents (ie bug-proof shelters) that offer maximum wind
protection?