[pct-l] tarptents and wind

Home jeffreyn at sonic.net
Fri Jan 25 09:53:17 CST 2008

About four years ago I, too, was in Evolution Basin and equipped with only
an 8x10 tarp.  The temperature began to drop and soon I had on most every
layer.  When I reached the Pass it was late afternoon and the Hut was
already filled, people peering through the glass, wondering if they could
make it down to their camps in the Valley.  I continued down on the south
side, past Helen Lake, until I came to the first grove of trees taller
than me and rigged the tarp very low, using a downed log as a windbreak
and as a place for the tie-outs on one side.  It was noisy, and it took a
long time to get all the tie-outs to work at the same time, but I was
snug.  Later, friends joined me and set up an early-production Rainbow,
foot into the wind.  They later complained about a cold draft, but they
too were generally warm and slept well.

If there had been a serious snowfall all of us would have been in trouble,
but I hiked away from that site reassured about the general worthiness of
a simple tarp - and lots of tie-outs.

--
Jeffrey "57" Zimmerman
Sonoma County