[pct-l] Another Trail Trick

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Fri Jan 25 09:07:45 CST 2008

Years ago I was solo hiking in Missouri and minding my own business.   When
you hike in an eastern forest, you often cannot see around very  far.  All at
once I hear far off this roar.  I wonder what this could  be and it seem to be
getting closer.  It sounded like a big freight train  as it got closer and
closer.  The sun is out and I can see white  clouds/blue skies through the trees.

All at once just before I think I will be run over, I realize what it  is.
In a panic I throw off my pack and frantically search my gear, but it  is too
late.  I am wiped out.

Yes, your pal, Switchback, is completely wet with storm rain.  A big  front
was marching through the forest.  All small runoffs that I just  hopped over a
few minutes ago are now major obstacles and roaring  torrents.

>From then on I promised myself I would always keep my rain gear in an outer
pocket of my pack.  So, now in my Ray Jardine style 18 ounce Breeze pack, I
carry my jacket, gloves, RainWrap skirt, and pack cover in one of the netting
outer pockets.  Not a bad technique to get to your emergency gear  quickly.

Another trail lore and trick by your hiking buddy, Switchback the  Trail
Tick.  :-)

48)