[pct-l] Slightly OT - GPS Waypoints for Sierra High Route?

Lon Cooper loncooper at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 10:14:52 CST 2008

Elevator,

On my section hike from the Mexican border to Truckee I carried a GPS
most of the way and I found it useful having it with me.

I downloaded tracks from Topo Mapxhange and morethanamile.com and used
Gramin Mapsource software to convert them into waypoints every half
mile along the trail. The waypoints were loaded into my Garmin GPS as
"Custom Points Of Interest" (POI).

I also printed maps using Delorme Topo USA with the tracks and
halfmile waypoints.

This worked very well for me.  I could just glance at the GPS and
immediately know what halfmile point I was near.

I found the halfmile points useful for planning too. For example, if
you want/need to hike 20 mile days, you need to hike 40 half miles and
can easily know if you made the goal.

I decided to keep the GPS on while I hiked and log my own very
detailed tracks of the PCT that I plan on making freely available to
other hikers along with .pdf map files of the PCT. I have decided to
use National Geographic Topo for the maps. I recently received
permission from National Geographic to redistribute .pdf versions of
the Topo PCT maps that I will be making. I will soon begin to create a
web site with this information at http://www.pctmap.net

-Lon
AKA Halfmile