[pct-l] Footwear in the Sierra

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Thu Feb 28 16:56:24 CST 2008

On Feb 28, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Brent Davis wrote:
> What are your experiences?  Do I need to think about getting some
> hiking boots for that segment through the snow?  What about a
> combination of running shoes and a traction device such as yaktrax
> (http://yaktrax.com/)?

I wouldn't get boots just for the Sierra.  In my first trip
through I had Montrails with Vibram soles (can't remember the
model).  The Vibram was quite nice while rock hopping.

Last year I had Montrail Hard Rocks, which worked well also
but don't have Vibram soles.

If you need something more than running shoes to kick a step
in the snow in June, then you aren't planning your day
correctly.  You are getting to snow covered slopes too early
in the day.

And if you are postholing for long periods of time, you
are getting to the snow too late in the day.   Last year
I didn't get to the snow on Muir pass until after 1:00pm
and had an exhausting afternoon and early evening on the
snow.

Radar