[pct-l] Footwear in the Sierra

robo hiker robohiker at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:21:41 CST 2008

although i have yet to hike the p.c.t. i can tell you, yak trax are usless. something similar but a fraction better would be kahtoola micro spikes. then kahtoola kts traction system, but they(kts) aren't much lighter than g-10's from grivel. i'm going with trail runners, probably a pair of gaiters to save the shins when postholing, and possibly an ice axe. if you're genuinely "kicking steps" i can't see light hikers doing much better than trail runners. word is wait for the snow to soften up,and take an axe with you.> From: brentadavis at gmail.com> To: Pct-l at backcountry.net> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:00:46 -0500> Subject: [pct-l] Footwear in the Sierra> > Hi everyone,> > I'm an aspiring 2008 thru-hiker - I'd like to get some opinions on > footwear through the snowbound Sierras.> > I'll be using running shoes for the rest of the hike, but I've read > Ray Jardine's recommendation to use light hiking boots in the Sierras > - he says it's a safety issue, that running shoes aren't really > adequate for kicking steps, etc. I get the impression from Yogi's > handbook, however, that most everyone just uses running shoes the > whole way.> > What are your experiences? Do I need to think about getting some > hiking boots for that segment through the snow? What about a > combination of running shoes and a traction device such as yaktrax (http://yaktrax.com/)?> _______________________________________________> Pct-l mailing list> Pct-l at backcountry.net> To unsubscribe or change list options (digest, etc):> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l