[pct-l] Bulk Granola on the Trail?

Ryan Town ryan.town at mac.com
Thu Feb 14 14:00:14 CST 2008

I have been watching several of the posts regarding Mammoth lately,
and have not been able to post responses. I would like to answer some
of the questions/concerns I have seen posted lately. I live in
Mammoth, and have 'resupplied' continuously now for five years. I do
not drive my car unless I am leaving town at any time of the year
(the shuttles are always running), and I buy my bulk granola at
Sierra Sundance, the local health food store, which also sells bulk
dehydrated vegetarian and vegan food. It is right next to Looney
Bean, which has computers that hikers can use for $2 per hour. The
Rite Aid in the same shopping center can load SD cards onto CDs. All
of this is located at stop 10 on the Red Line, about two blocks from
the PO. In this town of about 2000 people, you can find several
sources for any services hikers require, and if you avoid weekends,
can usually find a hotel in the $75/night range, even in the summer.
I work for Mammoth Mountain as a food and beverage manager and have
tried every restaurant in town. You can find an entire range of food
here at every price level. When I come through during my hike this
summer, I will eat at Angel's, which has the best rack of ribs I have
ever had and one of the largest beer selections in town. If I need
to, I will buy replacement tips for my trekking poles at Kittredge
sports.