[pct-l] Oregon 2008, skeeters & eucalyptus

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Sun Feb 10 12:59:58 CST 2008

Skeeters are usually over with in Oregon by mid-August.  Some years by the
end of July.  This year may be different, but you are not likely to
encounter a significant skeeter problem in September in Oregon.

In my experience, eucalyptus and other "natural" type repellants and the
various electronic products you hear about are all totally useless.  I don't
like DEET either, but I carry it with me to avoid suicide, which I think
might be even worse for my health than DEET.*  My main line of defense is
long pants, long sleeved shirt, hat with neck cloth all treated with
permethrin* such as the Buzz Off products, and a bug netted shelter.  My
Hennessy Hammock is my favorite when the bugs are out.

When I expect the bugs to be really bad I carry a head net which is light
and compact, but I don't like hiking with the head net on because they seem
to hold in the warmth of my breath just enough to make my head hot.  It's OK
sitting around in the evening unless you're trying to eat.

I've spent quite a lot of time hanging around Odell Lake, just off the PCT
in Oregon, and I have a few observations generally about skeeter habits:

1.  During all but a rather short period of time, usually in July,
mosquitoes are only active for a relatively short period of the day.
Unfortunately, this is the period when you are done hiking for the day and
you are setting up your shelter, cooking dinner and trying to relax.  They
often go away when temps dip lower after dark.  On the plus side, if the day
is warm you can hike unmolested and usually get to sleep after it gets a
little colder.
2. Skeeters don't like wind.  If they are really intense in the valleys,
hollers and next to the lake, this might be a good time to camp on a breezy
ridge and enjoy the expansive view.
3.  Skeeters don't travel very far off shore.  If you are camped next to a
mosquito infested lake you can get some temporary relief by going for a swim
and drowning may come as a welcome interlude.

*I know and do not need to be reminded that some people think that DEET and
permethrin (and aluminum cook pots and eating out of plastic bags, etc.) are
deadly toxins.  I've considered all that and I don't believe it is true.  Do
your own research and make up your own mind.  I won't be responding to posts
or spam to my email address that recycle all the debunked myths and legends
on this issue.