[pct-l] Trekking pole tips

robo hiker robohiker at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 10 12:25:48 CST 2008

they'll wear right down to tiny plastic stubs with no grip at all, actually when they get down that far they become very slippery. i've carved the plastic away from the carbide to help them last longer,but eventually you'll need to replace them,or at least i've had to before.

From: brianle at nwlink.comTo: pct-l at backcountry.netDate: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:09:09 -0800Subject: [pct-l] Trekking pole tips

W.S. Monty said:

“Big consideration.  For a lot of people, trekking pole tips are dull by this point.  Mammoth and Bishop are tho only two places on the trail i know of to replace them for the rest of California.  (about $20)”

I’ve never had to replace trekkiing pole tips.  I’d appreciate feedback from those with experience on this, in detailed form …

Who cares if they’re dull?  I don’t need particularly sharp tips, the tips inherently have a small striking surface area.   Are you talking about something that ultimately leads to the tips breaking or actually failing in any way?
Is a trekking pole tip a one-size-fits-all sort of thing, or are you talking about brand- and even model-specific replacement parts?  Having read about this before I tried last week to see if I could buy replacement tips to keep in my bounce bucket, but found nothing on the manufacturer’s (Komperdell) site about this.
I presume some special tool(s) and perhaps expertise is required to replace the tips, i.e., that you’re not just obtaining a part but paying for someone to do the replacement?

Looking just now at my trekking pole tip I see a smidge more than 1/8” length of metal tip, and my wife’s poles (with which she’s walked a lot fewer miles) look about the same.  I can’t imagine that after just another 900 miles or so that this would wear away, but is it actual wear --- literally grinding the tip down to nothing --- that you’re talking about?

TIA ---

            Brian Lewis