[pct-l] Trekking pole tips

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Sun Feb 10 12:50:36 CST 2008

Robo hiker said:

"they'll wear right down to tiny plastic stubs with no grip at all, actually
when they get down that far they become very slippery. i've carved the
plastic away from the carbide to help them last longer,but eventually you'll
need to replace them,or at least i've had to before."

In just a thousand miles or so?  Really?   I must have a good 500 miles on
mine, and the little asterisk pattern on the end of the tips are still
crisply visible.  Maybe I got a special set of poles made with nutronium
tips or something . or perhaps you've hiked on a lot more abrasive rock and
I hike more on softer dirt.  Anyway, thanks!   (ditto thanks to Tortoise)

My remaining question is whether I can count on the folks in Mammoth or
Bishop to have whatever parts on hand to replace the tips for my specific
brand and model of poles?  Or would it make sense to work harder to try to
find replacement tips and have them mailed to one of those towns (Mammoth or
Bishop) ?

Bob: muchas gracias for the additional info on the shuttle.

            Brian Lewis