[pct-l] Trekking pole tips

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Sun Feb 10 12:09:09 CST 2008

W.S. Monty said:

"Big consideration.  For a lot of people, trekking pole tips are dull by
this point.  Mammoth and Bishop are tho only two places on the trail i know
of to replace them for the rest of California.  (about $20)"

I've never had to replace trekkiing pole tips.  I'd appreciate feedback from
those with experience on this, in detailed form .

*	Who cares if they're dull?  I don't need particularly sharp tips,
the tips inherently have a small striking surface area.   Are you talking
about something that ultimately leads to the tips breaking or actually
failing in any way?

*	Is a trekking pole tip a one-size-fits-all sort of thing, or are you
talking about brand- and even model-specific replacement parts?  Having read
about this before I tried last week to see if I could buy replacement tips
to keep in my bounce bucket, but found nothing on the manufacturer's
(Komperdell) site about this.

*	I presume some special tool(s) and perhaps expertise is required to
replace the tips, i.e., that you're not just obtaining a part but paying for
someone to do the replacement?

Looking just now at my trekking pole tip I see a smidge more than 1/8"
length of metal tip, and my wife's poles (with which she's walked a lot
fewer miles) look about the same.  I can't imagine that after just another
900 miles or so that this would wear away, but is it actual wear ---
literally grinding the tip down to nothing --- that you're talking about?

TIA ---

            Brian Lewis