[pct-l] question

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 09:58:53 CST 2008

Moondog

This is a great question, and one every most hikers struggle with for a while.
K Meadows to Tuolumne can be done legally.  You just carry more weight.
Most likely your food won't fit in the bear canister.
I don't recommend it, but here's the bear box locations and other methods to use until it does.
It's really a pain and not very efficient to plan around camping at bear boxes.

Most hikers skipping Lone Pine or Independence sent a bucket to the Muir Ranch.

I'm not hauling all the way through tiis year.
I'd feel like i missed something.

Lone Pine is a good place to buy resupply.  Good food and a few gear items.

Independence has an inexpensive but good motel next to a PO, OK groceries and a Bus to either Lone Pine or Bishop.

Muir Ranch, with or without resupplying there(I probably will), I'll stop by to see Pat, who runs things there and love the hikers stopping by, and soak in the Hot Spring.  (Great temp with a small swimming lake through the bushes to rinse off.)

VVR.  It costs money, but I'm the one who chooses to spend it.  I take the boat instead of hiking in two hours.  I eat pie and ice cream.  I spend money on their food instead of cooking hiker food. (dinner $15 to $25) The motel is nicer than the free tent cabins.  Stopping by to visit with Jim, the owner, Stan, the Chef, the staff and the locals is part of my Sierra experience.  They all pitched in to help get a very sick friend to the hospital 60 miles down the hill last year.  (then she made it to Canada)  we had a big campfire and they have a guitar there, so there was also a bit of singing.

Mammoth, Free Trolley to Von's grocery store, movies, restaurants, a nice motel with a Jacuzzi and Laundry.  I love Mammoth.  I'll be there on a backpack the end of March.

Big consideration.  For a lot of people, trekking pole tips are dull by this point.  Mammoth and Bishop are tho only two places on the trail i know of to replace them for the rest of California.  (about $20)

I probably won't make ALL these stops, but they all offer something I consider a major part of thru-hiking.  Comraderie among the hikers who stop there and interaction with the businesses and people and businesses who support us along the trail.  OPH, And Town Food!!

As you can see, I like to rough it.

Warner Springs Monty

>Hello everyone,

I am probably going to purchase the Six Moons Design "Comet", 3700 cubic
inches of space
My base weigh will be about 13 pounds.

My query: is it possible to pull off a no-stop jaunt from Kennedy Meadows to
Mammoth Lakes (inclusive Mt. Whitney). I am just curious, as I know that I
can plan on the trail, everything is flexible, there is much to learn along
700 miles, etc... I am just wondering if people do this.

Also, I would not mind avoiding VVR: the mixed reviews, the "moneypit"
factor, etc... I figure, what's another 30 miles to Mammoth Lakes? People
rave about Mammoth Lakes, and I really hate stopping twice inside of 30
miles or so...

As for planning, we all know: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in
the face" - Mike Tyson.

Sorry to quote Tyson, but in this case, he does has a point, even if he is a
raging, raging psychopath.

I appreciate the help that everyone on this list has given me: rarely do I
answer people questions - mostly because I don't know anything about this
trail and I am doing my best to absorb some of the knowledge/experience that
you all so graciously pass along.

Thank you.

I am quitting my job in less than 3 weeks. This is thrilling.

-dave "moondog" stewart