[pct-l] Guide Books ect...

joseph kisner lostonthecrest at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 24 18:35:47 CST 2008

 I have had several e-mails regarding questions concerning the guide books, ect... Most are next years thru-hikers to be, so rather than e-mailing everyone individually, I will post MY point of view.
 First and most important, I would buy each, of the three PCT guide books. You will have all the maps, as well as a lot of important information regarding, trail, water, resupply, as well as natural and historical features along the way, [that you will not have in any other book].
 Second, I would get the Data Book, It will break down the mileages in a more simple form, and make your daily planning more simple, as well as having a quick reference to your next destination,[water, town, camp, ect].
 Third, I would get Yogi's Handbook, for one main reason. All the minor mistakes, changes or additions that you do, or do not find in the guidebook, Her book will have most likely inform you. Understand that you are not getting one person's point of view when using Yogi's handbook, but a compilation of many points of views, from people who have previously hiked the trail.
 Also realise the trail changes every year, and no matter what you decide to use, you will find differences, and mistakes. Also, these three books work in unison, and you will not find any other book or books able to give this volume of information.
 I normally would only read the PCT guide book, one day in advance, the night before, Before I read, I would look at the Data book, predict the mileage, then refer to the guide book. I would read all the historical and natural occurrences before hand, highlight or circle them in my data book, then read over Yogi's Handbook, and again circle or highlight changes or additions. This sounds like a huge project, but really only takes a few minutes. After a few days, you will begin to be pretty well organized.
 What I find, with the people who use map and data only, do not realize they are walking by many natural and historical facts, that the data book has to offer. I do think the book can be dry reading at times, but the knowledge it provides is worth it.
 If minimal reading is your cup of tea, and anything more than hiking the path is a waste of your time, then you can just use the maps and databook, and keep the other info tucked away for emergency need of info.. If it is weight you are concerned about, subdivide books into your shoe drops. You will surely hang around for that drop.
 As far as adding the PCT Atlas goes, that is up to you. It surely will not hurt, but for me, it cost too much, and has different mileage points. The reason it has different mileage points is because the mileage was taken with a GPS, not a wheel or measuring tape. This contradicts the national parks and other pre measured trail sections.
 If I was to hike this trail for the first time knowing what I now know, these would be my choices. This does not mean my way is the only way, just my point of view. It also does not mean anything negitive about the PCT Atlas. For if I was to do a winter thru-hike I would concider them for the GPS information, but then again I think this is available for free. I hope this helps everyone this spring, and have a great thru-hike of the PCT!!!! joe