[pct-l] Guide Books ect...

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Wed Dec 24 19:10:01 CST 2008

FYI,

The PCT Atlas, while I still consider it the best option, is going through a
major make over.   Erik was going to keep it a surprise until he was ready,
but the recent loss of his Dad has changed his announcement plans.

There are not many more data points along the elevation profile etc.,   the
maps are in color, and many more upgrades.   And if you thought they were
expensive before, they are going up.   To paraphrase Erik, he had to decide
if he was going to make a highly specific tool geared to the PCT distance
hiker, or make a watered down version that could appeal to a larger REI
crowd.  He has chosen to make a tool specifically geared to the distance
hiker.    As such, in order for it to be worth the time, they will not be
cheap.  They will though be specific to the task at hand.  As he said, his
goal is to make it as valuable as other highly specialized pieces of gear
that hikers are used to paying for when on the trail.

I have seen a glimps of them, and they are mind-bending good.  I do not know
exactly what his release schedule is as he is right now focusing on his
major loss.  I am sure we will know more soon enough.

Pink Gumby