[pct-l] Front Packs

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Dec 10 12:56:37 CST 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Re: [pct-l] Front Packs

I used an Osprey pack that had convenient zippered pockets on the
waist belt. The zippers broke quickly, however. The trick is to unzip
and rezip with the opposite hand, I guess. I kept my lunch,
flashlight and extra chapstick, in them. (Chapstick always gets lost
for me so I like to carry a backup.) Also my mosquito net for quick
deployment.

I kept my knife and good chapstick in a zippered pants pocket.

Additionally, I had this old canvas (i.e. much too heavy) pouch that
is intended for people doing field work to carry their field
notebook. In that I could carry my journal and a pen, the guide book
pages for the day and data book (I carried the data book whole), my
camera, a couple of energy bars and even a 20oz water bottle.
Although heavy, it was actually my favorite piece of equipment. I
attached it to a side strap on my pack so I could reach with my right
hand.

I don't see why you couldn't improvise something great with a little
fabric, a needle and thread (or sewing machine.) Something to attach
to the waist belt, the shoulder straps or the sternum strap could be
made quite easily.

There's ultralight and there's make-your-own. Sometimes the two
overlap and sometimes they don't. In my opinion, make-your-own
carries a special cachet.