[pct-l] PCTA Membership

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Tue Dec 9 08:20:25 CST 2008

Dear members of PCT-L Mailing List:

L-Rod and I were talking last week about PCTA membership, the cost of the
trail, and the value of the trail.    She noted that many thru hikers do not
support the trail with membership to the PCTA once their hike is complete.
I have been thinking about this and I could see how this happens.   A thru
hiker pays for membership often to get the permit process done for them.
After their hike, successful or not, they do not use the trail much.  They
may not live along the west coast of the USA or don't hike much, or perhaps
just don't "get around to joining" because the drive to do so is lessened
(no pending big hike, no need for permit help, etc).    As a result, they
simply drop their membership.

Of course, some hikers continue to renew for years regardless, some never
join to begin with, and some have other reasons.   I do not want this email
string to get bogged down in exceptions or defensive comments (aka "not all
hikers . . .)   or the flip side of making disparaging or attacking comments
about those that do not participate.   The point here is to encourage
participation in the PCTA beyond the current average, not to throw stones.

I want to start a campaign or at least a cultural norm (by that I mean
something heard often, printed in guide books, or included in email groups
like this).    I would call the campaign Thru Hike Plus Four.   The campaign
is to encourage Thru Hikers to pay for PCTA membership for at least an
additional four years after their hike.   If this could become the norm, by
then end of four years we would have an overlap of four years of thru hikers
actively supporting the trail.  Also, we would instill a wonderful habit of
support that would be more likely to extend beyond four years.

Thru Hikers will get more value, use, miles, and return from their trail
time in one season than most will achieve in a lifetime.    I think asking
for a five year return is very reasonable and the vast majority of Thru
Hikers would agree.

Now this is out of my head and out to the group.

Pink Gumby