[pct-l] Wiki or Not?

Richard Thalhammer rickt at macnexus.org
Thu Dec 4 12:51:36 CST 2008

Responding to Steel-Eye's opinion rejecting a wiki for a FAQ for the
PCT-L, my difference with that is based on what may be a different
perception of what this FAQ would try to address.  From the
discussion, my impression is that it will NOT attempt to resolve
matters of opinion or controversy, which is where a wiki can get into
trouble.  Wikipedia, for example, has taken many hits for allowing
edits of political information by partisans without adequate
attribution or supervision.  Obviously, if there are various answers
to a question, a wiki is vulnerable to manipulation.  I think that is
where Steel-Eye's skepticism of a wiki comes from and I agree with his
point, as far as it goes.

However, if the FAQ addresses what Steel-Eye describes as "primarily
quanitative" matters, then the issue simply is whether the information
is correct and up-to-date, or not.  For example, trying to answer the
question, "How many miles a day should I try to accomplish on my thru-
hike?", is fraught with variables and subject to everyone's opinion.
The true answer will be up to each individual's situation, and thus
not a question to be undertaken by the kind of FAQ I had in mind.  In
my view, the correct type of question would be more on the order of,
"What permits do I need to hike a thru-hike?", or "What are my public
transportation options from Manning Park to Seattle?"   At present,
the answers to those questions are straightforward and can be given
without controversy.  However, whenever the information changes, a
wiki would allow a rapid update to the FAQ and, unless someone posts a
bogus bit of information, should allow the FAQ to remain current and
useful.  The "credibility" of the author of any piece of information
would not be an issue, as it would be if the answer were a matter of
opinion.

Certainly, even the most objective facts can be altered by ignorance
or malicious behavior, and a wiki is vulnerable to both.  But, by the
same token, readers of the PCT-L know that readers of this forum are
almost uniformly responsible, helpful and sincere contributors to the
hiking experience of others through their posts.  Whenever anyone
posts incorrect information, for whatever reason, rapid corrections
follow.  Based on that history, I think a wiki format for the FAQ
being considered would be quite effective.

Having said all that, I think it most important that we get a FAQ
together in whatever format works for those creating it.

Rick Thalhammer
rickt at macnexus.org