[pct-l] Training after hiatus

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 4 12:57:14 CST 2008

Gary Peterson writes:

Has anyone else made the jump from non-hiker-but-runner
to PCT through hiker and if so, what can I do to make that transition a
little easier.  My concerns are mostly about my feet and back.

Gary,

I'm 63 and finished the PCT this year.  I did the AT in 06.  I haven't been able to run since I broke my leg skiing at age 25, but I have been walking for fitness for years--every day during my lunch hour when I worked.  Recently, I've added bicycling when the weather permits.  Your running has probably kept your cardiovascular fitness high, but you will find that hiking a twenty plus miles day after day with significant weight on your back is different from running.  They say that hiking is the best training for hiking.  Plus, you can plan to start out and /slowly/ add to your daily miles as you begin your hike.  Eventually, you will start to feel like you are 25 again---until  a look in the mirror spoils the illusion!

Here's what I did to get in shape for the PCT.  First, I got checked out by my cardiologist (I had some minor problems about 11 years ago) and my family doctor.  Second, I started a walking program on woodland park trails near my home.  I wore the footwear (boots in my case) I planned to use on the trail, carried a loaded pack, and used my poles.  I increased the pack weight and distance as I became comfortable.  I started out walking 3 days a week and increased that to 5 days as the hike approached.  I walked every day, rain or shine, wearing a pack for three months for a distance which eventually reached about 15 miles.  (It rained a lot more in Ohio than on the entire PCT!)  I did get some looks carrying the pack and using the trekking poles (they've saved my knees), but shrugged them off.  Even so I didn't start banging out 20+ miles days at the beginning of my PCT hike.  I planned for 15 miles days and frequently fell short.  Hiking uphill at 5000' elevation is a lot different than hiking at a few hundred feet elevation.  It took at least two weeks before my metabolism adjusted and I "got my hiking legs."

If you're still working, consider carrying a lunch and eating it as you walk during your lunch hour.  I did 3 miles with 400 ft. elevation gain and loss for 6 months at work a few years ago before a two week trek in Alaska.

Handlebar
AT06, PCT08