[pct-l] Thru hiking alone or with somebody else?

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Wed Dec 3 22:44:44 CST 2008

Hey Sean,

My suggestion and I think others will echo this.

First, if you have friends that want to join you have them all commit to the
same section ahead of time.  The coordination of where you will be and when
will be difficult to put together and you will not likely want to do it more
than once.

That being said, having your close friends join you for a few days mid hike
can be very good for the soul for many reasons.   You get to show off how
friken strong you are.  You get to remember and connect to your home life
that will remind you how far you have come.  And you will get time with
people who know you in ways those on the trail don't.

Most people suggest that you need not worry about hiking alone.   Most
hikers have very different styles and speeds and priorities.   Rare is the
friend from home that aligns with you on the trail in quite the same way.
If you start alone, you WILL meet many other hikers.  If you are inclined to
company you will find yourself gravitating to hikers that share your hiking
style.   In addition, since the connection was adhoc, you are left without
obligation to continue at any given time.   When you feel the need to move
along, fall behind, or just want to be alone again to test your skills or
contemplate the planet - you have minimal tethers.

This of course, is just my observations and experience - your mileage may
vary.

pGumby