[pct-l] Thru hiking alone or with somebody else?

Sean Carey seanpct75 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 22:22:56 CST 2008

Hello again,

Got another question for all of you. I guess this has actually been in the
back of my mind since I realized that this is something I am going to be
doing. On a thru hike I am wondering how many people solo hiked it or hiked
with others? I have tried to talk most of my friends into coming with me. If
not the the whole way maybe for a part of it. I pretty much have had no
takers. LOL. A few would really like to, but they have other
responsibilities and so on to contend with.

Me I don't have as many of these responsibilities or tethers keeping me in
one place. I am going to do this. You could fit all of my possesions into a
van probably and even maybe a car. LOL.

Anyhow back to what I am really wondering about. I am not sure where exactly
I will be by the time I get ready to go. Or how I will feel about which one
of these I want to do. I am wondering if some people maybe hook up with
people and hike with them for a while and then return to solo hiking? Or
maybe some people hook up for certain portions like the Sierras?

I might find that when I get there I want some company sometimes. I might
also find I want to solo hike a lot of it. I don't really know yet. I guess
I am really curious though about the possibilities of both. I am wondering
what people have experienced and what they think about both? Also the
possibilities or maybe if people just will run into others along the way and
just hike for a bit and then break off?

Thanks for all of the input.

Sean C.