[pct-l] Dead horses and singled out

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 16:27:08 CDT 2008

I think that there is a bit of historical "revision" going on with the notes from Joe.  The first comments made about going thru the fire closure were by Scott's wife (?) writing to the list.  Everything that followed was in response to that one email.  I've seen similar responses in the past about people doing unexplained, but questionable, things on the PCT.  So - I don't think that anyone singled out Joe and/or Scott.

The nastiness on the list has been greatly increased recently by the diatribes by Reinhold.  He has been the one who has repeatedly tried for the "last word" and gone into questioning other hikers’ personal integrity.  I don’t wish to attack his motive, but I think he needs to cool his rhetoric.

There are a number of important issues that have been raised on this list. It would be nice to have civil discourse over these and other issues.  However, it is embarrassing to read some of the comments and attacks on this list.  I've been attacked as an advocate of hiking thru closed sections, although I also questioned why Joe and Scott walked thru an active fire closure..  (I also don’t think that issue has been addressed by Joe in any substantial manner.)

Maybe people sometimes hit their "reply" button before thinking of what they are going to say.  That may satisfy some inner emotion, but it does not heighten the conversation on this list.  I really suggest that people THINK (what an idea!) before they write, and then carefully read their own note before hitting the "send" button.  A little editing, to make sure you are saying something close to what you really mean would be helpful, also!

It was interesting to read some of Joe’s personal history.  I am probably about his Dad’s age, since I also had a 3 year old in 1970.  I don’t think that anyone is setting “records” on the PCT because they are seeking glory.  I think we are all out there (and on this list) because we love the wild places, hiking and the PCT.

Peace, Kent